1. Sports

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Mike Doyle

Frozen - The Movie

By January 12, 2010

There's a movie debuting the week before the 2010 Vancouver Olympics called Frozen. I gather, from watching the trailer, the storyline is that a hotty snowboard chick lures a dumb young skier away from the tribe and talks him and his friend into grabbing a chairlift ride.

Lo and behold, just as they are half way up, the quitting bell sounds and the lifties throw the off switch. Of course, the ski patrol and all humans within earshot run home - except for the three stars swinging on the chairlift - hour after colder hour after colder hour - slowly freezing to death.

The premise is, I guess, it could happen and, maybe it could. Highly unlikely, I think, even in the old days they used to flag the 'last chair' going up and wait until it made a loop back to the base before shutting the lift off. Then the Ski Patrol sweeps the area, but whatever, this is the movies.

Anyway, I think an ordeal more terrible then freezing to death on a chairlift would be sitting in a theater watching people freeze to death on a chairlift.

Maybe I'm wrong because, guess what - Frozen is playing the Sundance Film Festival - a Sundance 2010 "Park City at Midnight" selection and 3 of the 5 showings are sold out!

Congrats to the Frozen PR people for pulling this gigantic brain freeze. Check out the Frozen Trailer and give us your opinion.

Photo Copyright Getty Images

Comments

January 12, 2010 at 6:55 am
(1) Jessie says:

Good point on how lift systems actually work. Reality wouldn’t make much of a scary movie, I guess.

Watching three people stuck on a chairlift doesn’t sound like my idea of fun either. And the last scene in the trailer made me cringe. Keeping gloves on would have been a smart idea, but then again, sounds like it ties in with the rest of the story.

February 7, 2010 at 12:05 pm
(2) Jonathan says:

2010 no cells phones?
No one had to use the bathroom
No one wore gloves?

There were the last three on the lift? Like the entire mountain was empty?

My Ideas

1) Stuck in a elevator with muszac
2) Stuck in the elevator with your old girlfriend / boyfriend
3) Stuck in the elevator with a Jehovah witness

Ugh

February 9, 2010 at 1:56 am
(3) Weedwacker says:

Um, yeah, most of your assumptions or gatherings were wrong…thanks for the laugh though. :)

February 9, 2010 at 6:43 pm
(4) dude says:

They’re not skiers, they’re SNOWBOARDERS! Nuff said…

February 10, 2010 at 3:36 am
(5) Carter says:

The movie was awesome! Very intense! They never covered their faces, which bothered me but all-in-all, great movie. Can’t wait to buy it.

October 18, 2010 at 1:44 pm
(6) Linda Gentry says:

I totally disagree with Mike Doyle. First of all, the three skiers are NOT “two hottie snowboard chicks luring a dumb young skier away from the tribe.” If and that’s a capital “IF” Mr. Doyle is going to critique a movie, let him, please get all the information correct!!!!! I found the movie to be quite a thriller without monsters or paranormal activities. It is something I could see happening, having been a snow skier in my younger life. The movie keeps you on the edge of your seat up to the very last minute. I highly recommend it!! I also enjoyed the special features showing how the movie was made – which, in itself, is a movie worth watching. Forget Mr. Doyle’s opinion and at the very least, rent the movie. It will keep you on the edge of your seat beginning about 15 minutes into the movie.

October 20, 2010 at 9:41 am
(7) Janna says:

The movie might be worth renting for the entertainment value – it’s so silly it’s funny, but it’s not going to keep you on the edge of your seat or maybe even in your seat. Definitely don’t waste much (if any) money on it.

Like Mike said it’s a brain freeze and like Jonathan said:

2010 no cells phones? No one had to use the bathroom? No one wore gloves? There were the last three on the lift? Like the entire mountain was empty?

So, how could it really happen? Especially since the chances of the ski patrol missing three kids on a lift, these days, are slim to none.

January 8, 2011 at 9:19 pm
(8) Liane says:

I have to agree with Janna – not worth spending a lot of money on. If you’ve seen the trailer you’ve basically seen the movie with exception of who survives. I suppose there’s only so much story options around – Maybe not enough to drag it out for an hour and a half. Only reason I kept watching was to see how it would and then still felt, “is THAT it?”

January 10, 2011 at 10:09 pm
(9) The Lord High Dingus says:

I just saw this movie and it made me puke in my mouth – which was better than the movie I might add. Don’t waste your time even if you’re able to see the movie free.

February 13, 2011 at 5:07 am
(10) shampoo says:

I wondered about the ski lift premise… what happens is they are the last on the lift and the flag has been sent before them. The operator who sent them up had to go to see his boss and told the guy replacing him that three were still out. So, when three different people come down the mountain, that guy turns the lift off. The resort was closing early due to weather coming in and the employees are still there when it starts snowing. Also, this resort is only open on the weekends.

As far as gloves… they had those. But, things happened. Their cell phones are in their lockers. I gather that isn’t what people normally do? I guess everyone immediately thinks of going to the bathroom because that is in there as well.

All three people are friends. It is a skier, a snowboarder, and a person learning to snowboard. I just saw it… I don’t know how likely the situation is to occur, but they did more to make it plausible than maybe the trailer makes it seem. None of the stuff I mentioned is spoilery… it happens in the first part of the movie.

Here is what I can’t help wondering about… two of the characters are really into their sports and thus use chairlifts a lot. It seems you would get pretty good at estimating how far from the ground you were and other such details.

January 1, 2012 at 7:13 pm
(11) MIMI says:

This movie is really a thriller! I watch them all, and it is not about a hottie luring two guys to a snow lift! It is very hard to get thru the scene where the first wolf attack comes……I don’t want to give it away because it is shocking and true horror for those who enjoy a good thriller! You will not want to watch ,but you will have too!!!