1. Sports

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Mike Doyle

Lake Tahoe Family Ski Vacations

By December 3, 2008

Lake TahoeLake Tahoe is situated on the California and Nevada border and is home to the largest concentration of ski resorts in North America. It is a perfect area for a family ski vacation, with plenty of activities for all ages, both on and off the slopes.

In four short weeks, I'll be heading west on my own family ski vacation to Lake Tahoe. I've skied there for a few days before, but this is is the first time I will be taking my family. I have a few things planned, but I'd like to hear more things we shouldn't miss doing while in the Lake Tahoe area.

Here are some of the obvious ones collected from a few of my skiing friends:

• Ski Heavenly
  • Ski Squaw
  • Ski Alpine Meadows
  • Ski Homewood
  • Ski Kirkwood, Sierra-at-Tahoe, and all the other resorts off the Lake
  • Visit the Casinos

Well, now I need a few ideas for activities that include the whole family - skiers and non-skiers, kids, and adults. So, think of all the great things you know to do around Lake Tahoe and either comment (below) below or send me an email and I'll add your suggestions to the list.

More: Family Ski Vacations | Lake Tahoe Deals and Discounts

Bookmark and Share

Photo Copyright Mike Doyle

Comments

December 3, 2008 at 4:20 am
(1) Susan says:

How about a gourmet dinner on the snow at Heavenly?

December 3, 2008 at 7:05 am
(2) Olivia says:

One of my favorite things to do, and they have them in many ski towns, is to take a horse drawn sleigh ride around town. It’s a great wear to get a local tour. Here’s one in Lake Tahoe:

December 3, 2008 at 7:34 am
(3) Dog Sledder says:

Dog sled rides are another fun off-slope activity.

December 4, 2008 at 11:39 am
(4) Heath says:

Zephyr Cove offers fun snowmobiling tours. Go to the Minden airport down Kingsbury Grade from Heavenly (Nevada) and take a glider ride over the Heavenly ski slopes. Northstar is a nice ski resort that hasn’t been mentioned yet. Check out the show schedules at the casinos, they usually have good acts during ski season.

December 4, 2008 at 5:55 pm
(5) Kent Jones says:

If you want a taste of the backcountry check out Kirkwood Mountain Resortís Expedition: Kirkwood which offers up an entire laundry list of unique programs such as snowcat tours, guided excursions, camps/clinics and other backcountry focused programs.

December 11, 2008 at 7:00 pm
(6) Riley says:

If you have kids I would recommend bringing them to Granlibakken for an hour or so. Granlibakken has a great sledding hill where u can either bring your own sled or rent one. There is also a lodge by the way.

December 11, 2008 at 7:21 pm
(7) Riley says:

North Star is fun everyonce in a while but I wouldnt recommend going there. It’s usually very crowded and pretty exspensive. The Blacks are also very easy. I would recommend skiing at Alpine Meadows (thats where I usually go) or if it is a powder day Homewood is also fun. Squaw is also very fun.

For dinner you should try SunnySide which is just south of Tahoe City on 89, West Shore Cafe (across the street near HomeWood off of 89) is good but exspensive, and if you want sushi I would recommend going to Hiro Sushi in Kings Beach. Also if you have kids and are thinking about putting them in ski school then I would recommend Alpine Meadows because there lessons are great.